Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Autism and my daughter


My daughter, Violet, is 2 and has PDD (Pervasive Development Disorder) which is a form of autism. She's a very happy girl- laughs and giggles a lot but has trouble communicating. She has no words yet. She knows about three signs. Doesn't respond to her name very much but does make eye contact.
I'm so lucky to have her. Many times I've said Violet saved my life.
Before I got pregnant with Violet, I was under 80 lbs. and very ill- mentally and physically. Once I got pregnant with her- my life, my bipolar changed forever.
She's amazing and is teaching me all the time. She teaches me other ways to communicate, other than words.
I'm always on the lookout for new toys she'll like and books.
I was looking for a puzzle piece necklace (the sign for autism) and I came across this website called autismthings.com
Wow- It's really cool and funny. They have t-shirts that say things like-" I love an autie!" crazy, huh? " Be patient with me I'm autistic." and " Autism rocks and flaps and spins." That's my favorite actually.
I appreciate every milestone she reaches because she's worked so hard to get there.
I saw a two year old girl in the doctors office today and she was talking and talking.
I felt sad for a moment, seeing how different my kid daughter is.
But then I quickly remembered her laugh and that she's a happy little girl reguardless if she can talk or not just yet.
Violet when she was little, developed fast and was quick to hit each milestone until she received her 1 year vaccines. Then everything took a giant leap backwards.
I'm very scared of vaccines and am really worried because I have to do it all over again with my son. This time I'm wiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment